Author Topic: Looking for distros to test in virtual, still  (Read 27 times)

Offline buster

• Posting Member
    • View Profile
Looking for distros to test in virtual, still
« on: May 15, 2019, 04:45:05 pm »
So I have already on my machine Kubuntu, Peppermint, MXlinux, SUSE, Mageia, and Mint. Just removed deepin and Lite, both excellent. Have played with UbuntuMate and Xubuntu.

The thing is some distros don't like me, or so it seems - Openmandriva (tho it is the final rc) and Zorin, which had a number of glitches. Both lasted less than a day.

Have also tried Fedora Plasma, which was very good, PCLinuxOS which is unpleasant in virtual, Neon, which seemed to have no reason to be one of my long term friends, Manjaro, which was an unpleasant guest,and Ubuntu, which is solid, but I'm not partial to Gnome.

No need to suggest these, 'cause I ain't goin' there: Arch, Gentoo, Centos, AntiX, or Slackware (surprise).

I like easy, solid, pleasant. Light if possible. I think I've tested all the distros that fit that category. I'm hoping someone will say, "This is  great one you missed Harry, give it a try. You'll love it."

I mean, I need to fill the rainy days.
"With all due respect John I am head of IT and I have it on good authority if you type 'Google' into Google you can break the internet, so please no one try it, even for a joke." ( Jen on 'The IT Crowd' )

Offline fox

• Posting Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for distros to test in virtual, still
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 07:15:33 pm »
Solus, AntiX, Sparky
Ubuntu 19.04 and openSUSE Leap on 2011 iMac
Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 on "late 2015" 5k iMac
Ubuntu 19.04, 18.04 and MX Linux on Dell XPS 13 2 in 1

Offline Jason Wallwork

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 02:20:55 pm »
Expand your horizons, Buster. Arch is really not that hard to install assuming you can follow instructions carefully. Shouldn't be difficult for a retired teacher. And you get the satisfaction of a distro you built yourself. There is no compiling involved unlike with Gentoo and you don't have to read all the docs although you'll learn more if you do. I set out the steps on a post somewhere in the forums. You're not too old to learn new things.

Otherwise, check out Pop OS.
Primary: Desktop w/ Win10Pro/Kubuntu 19.04 on i5-3.2 GHz w/ 12 GB RAM, 64 GB SSD , 2x2 TB RAID 10 array for programs/data

Secondary/Test: Toshiba Satellite Ultrabook Z830-00K w/ Win10/Linux Mint 19.1 Xfce  (i3-1.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SDD)

Phone: Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra w/ Android Oreo 8.0.0

Offline buster

• Posting Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 02:39:12 pm »
Thanks Mike. Tried AntiX a few years ago, but I'll take a look at Solus, though I think I did try it once. Can't see a desktop environment I'd like in Sparky but may try it later.

Just downloaded Solus.
"With all due respect John I am head of IT and I have it on good authority if you type 'Google' into Google you can break the internet, so please no one try it, even for a joke." ( Jen on 'The IT Crowd' )

Offline buster

• Posting Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 02:44:05 pm »
" You're not too old to learn new things"

That isn't exactly the problem Jason. It's just that my brain is already full.

Offline fox

• Posting Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 11:40:52 pm »
Although you have tried Peppermint, they just released a major update.

Offline fox

• Posting Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 08:20:25 am »
Here is another one: Pop_OS 19.04 .