Author Topic: So you're grub is corrupted and you can't boot.  (Read 417 times)

Offline buster

• Posting Member
    • View Profile
So you're grub is corrupted and you can't boot.
« on: December 20, 2017, 11:11:30 pm »
Got this from DistroWatch. Seems to be an easy way to at least get into the system:

Corrupted boot loader

One of my least favourite situations to try to recover from is rescuing a system where the boot loader is no longer working. Usually this can be fixed by booting a live disc, creating a chroot environment and re-installing the boot loader. However, there are several steps involved in this kind of rescue and sometimes our priority is to just get our main operating system back on-line quickly. For these situations there is Super Grub2 Disk. Super Grub2 Disk is a live CD which can be used to boot operating systems, even when the GRUB boot loader has been corrupted or overwritten. Super Grub2 Disk is not a full operating system, it just gives us the tools to boot our existing, on-disk operating system so we can start making repairs. This may be easier or faster than trying to repair the operating system from a separate, live disc environment.

Offline fox

• Posting Member
    • View Profile
Re: So you're grub is corrupted and you can't boot.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 07:02:05 am »
I wonder if there is an easy way to make a Super Grub2 disk on a usb stick? I was looking this up and it is unclear whether or not a program like unetbootin or etcher would work. Anyone tried this?
Ubuntu 18.10 and openSUSE Leap on 2011 iMac
Linux Mint Cinnamon 19 on "late 2015" 5k iMac
Ubuntu 18.10 and Arch on Dell XPS 13

Offline ssfc72

• Posting Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 07:34:39 am »
Yes, I believe I have it on a Yumi multiboot usb flash drive.  I also have another mbr repair program, on the same flash drive.
I have used them to recover from a non booting notebook.

Bill
Mint 18.3 on an HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook
Tried Mint 19, but too many bugs. Went back to Mint 18.3
Cellphone ZTE Axon 7 Mini, PCMobile pay as you go

Offline Jason Wallwork

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 07:39:15 pm »
Thanks for sharing, Harry!
Primary: Desktop Tower with Kubuntu 18.10 on i5-3470 3.2 GHz with 12 GB RAM, 64 GB SSD for OSes, 4 TB RAID-10 array for programs/data

Secondary/Test: Toshiba Satellite Ultrabook Z830-00K w/ Linux Du Jour, (i3-2367M 1.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SDD)