Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I left the old SSD exactly as it was; files partitions, etc. The UUID I changed was on the new SSD.
Sooo! Did you reformat the older smaller SSD, so that all the files on it were deleted?
Or did you leave the older SSD with all the original files, still on it?
Meetings / Re: PLUG MUG: Monday, June 26, 2017: Sign-Up
« Last Post by ssfc72 on June 22, 2017, 03:55:34 pm »
I expect your class mates will know, if they have passed, before you leave the class.
It may take a week or so before the gov't agency, issues your Amateur Callsign.

...And I will be somewhat late, but I expect to see a good turnout when I get there! <^8# (Most members know I *will* be there, at some point in the evening...!}

The exam probably won't take two hours, so, I'll see you when I've finished (I wonder if I'll know by the time I get there if I passed...?)

See you there! <^8#
I recently used clonezilla for cloning one SSD onto a second larger SSD. I was intending on removing the older, smaller SSD, but was unable, so I left them both in my computer. What I hadn't thought about was that a cloned partition has exactly the same UUID # as its source, and since grub typically uses the UUID to specify which drive to load, this sets up a conflict between the source and target partition. In my case, the result was that it was always loading the partition from the smaller SSD and ignoring the new one. Even when I thought I was selecting the new one, I was not. It took about a month before I discovered this.

The solution is to change the UUID # of one of the drives, which one can easily do with gparted, or less easily on the command line. gparted will reassign the UUID with a random number. That would end the conflict and allow both drives to be accessible through your grub menu.

Perhaps the situation is unusual because most people would remove the old source drive once it is cloned onto the new one. But if you were running a desktop computer, there is often space for one or more drives and one might then keep both drives attached. If you do, change make the UUID numbers different if you want to be able to boot up either partition. In my case, I had an additional complication. I am using a Mac mini and because I also want easy access to the Mac OS (although I rarely use it anymore), I installed refind, which uses grub input but changes the boot menu to icons representing the various bootable partitions that it sees. Problem is that it uses a config file that doesn't change the UUID even after you change it yourself and update your grub. It took me awhile to find that file and edit it to put the changed UUID #. Once I did, all worked well and the cloned Linux partition became readily accessible on both the source and cloned drives.
Distributions / Re: Successful install of Arch
« Last Post by fox on June 22, 2017, 07:23:19 am »
It's also interesting that the effect of the greyscale antialias setting isn't consistent across computers. The Arch installation on my Dell xps also had antialiasing set as greyscale, but in this case, Office 2013 (on Crossover) didn't have the poor font rendering seen when running Office 2010 on my iMac. Unfortunately, there are two relevant variables that are different between the iMac and the Dell xps (Office 2010 vs 2013) and pixel density (109 vs 166 ppi).
« Last Post by elpresidente on June 21, 2017, 04:12:26 pm »
Interesting. I didn't think about antialiasing. It could be that  LibreOfice and WPS Writer can override the setting and are actually using RGB mode. Evidently, RGB is better on LCD monitors and grey-scale is better on CRTs.

http://alienryderflex.com/sub_pixel/
Meetings / Re: PLUG MUG: Monday, June 26, 2017: Sign-Up
« Last Post by bobf on June 21, 2017, 12:42:52 am »
...And I will be somewhat late, but I expect to see a good turnout when I get there! <^8# (Most members know I *will* be there, at some point in the evening...!}

The exam probably won't take two hours, so, I'll see you when I've finished (I wonder if I'll know by the time I get there if I passed...?)

See you there! <^8#
Meetings / PLUG MUG: Monday, June 26, 2017: Sign-Up
« Last Post by bobf on June 21, 2017, 12:41:18 am »
Each MONDAY evening, except the first Monday of the month, beginning at about 7 pm, everyone is welcome to hang out with other PLUGgers at Tim Horton's Coffee & Donuts on Monaghan Road just north of Lansdowne Street. We call these nights PLUG MUGs. There is Free wireless Internet and no agenda; just friends hanging out, and talking about everything from Linux to X-rays.

If you're planning on attending this MUG, please POST BELOW. It helps people coming from out of town to know if anybody is coming. By the way, you don't have to be there right at 7 pm, that's just a suggested time. We fully expect people to show up at different times. If you're not coming at 7-8 pm though, let us know roughly when you're coming so we can wait for you.

Synchronize your watches!! <^8# See you there!
« Last Post by fox on June 20, 2017, 04:38:21 pm »
I had another problem on Arch that I just solved. The problem was poor font rendering in Microsoft Office 2010 running in Crossover Linux. This was noticable on only certain fonts, but they included the all-important times-roman and arial. What was maddening was that the same program didn't have this problem in Ubuntu running on the same computer (my 2010 27" iMac). I kept flipping back and forth to see which settings were different, and I finally found it. What was different was the antialiasing setting (accessed through the gnome-tweak-tool). In Ubuntu it was rgb; in Arch it was greyscale. Changed the Arch setting and the font rendering improved immediately! Now why it was set at greyscale in Arch is a question I can't answer; is that the default or did I do it by accident? What's interesting is that even with the greyscale setting, font rendering was not adversely affected in Libreoffice Writer or WPS Writer. I don't know enough about font rendering to be able to explain this, but if someone reading this knows or has some idea, please post a reply.

This is a big deal to me. I use Office 2010 a lot in my work for compatibility reasons, and the poor font rendering would have driven me nuts and forced an early ending to my Arch experiment.
Distributions / Re: Jason's Arch Linux experience
« Last Post by elpresidente on June 19, 2017, 11:36:29 pm »
Thanks, Mike. I had installed os-probe on a previous install of Arch and it didn't seem to work. But this time it did.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk