Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Meetings / Re: PLUG MUG: Monday, May 22, 2017: Sign-Up
« Last Post by fox on Yesterday at 10:30:22 am »
With such an illustrious set of PLUGers coming tonight, count me in; about 8:00.
General Discussion / Re: Amateur Radio Allstar using Raspberry PI
« Last Post by ssfc72 on Yesterday at 05:12:17 am »
That is a general rule, from the Amateur Radio operator, regulations.
As long as a licensed Amateur operator has "control" of the transceiver station, then the operator can let a person, who is not licensed. operate the radio.

That could be a question, on your exam. :-)

There is an International  Boy/Girl Scout event, called JOTA (Jamboree On The Air), in October, where Scouts use Amateur Radio equipment, under the "control" of a licensed Amateur operator, to communicate with other Scouts, throughout the world.
http://jotajoti.info/jota-rules/
« Last Post by bobf on May 21, 2017, 10:54:57 pm »
You don't need to hold a Amateur Radio licence, to get on the air, as long as there is a licenced Amateur operator, with you.

Is that true in general, or does that only have to do with an ARRL (or other sanctioned) function?
« Last Post by bobf on May 21, 2017, 10:48:18 pm »
Wow! Am I distracted by life OR WHAT?! <^8# I actually have this week off from my Amateur Radio licensing course, so I'll probably be there around 7 or so... And it's good to hear from you, William, hope to see you there!
« Last Post by ssfc72 on May 21, 2017, 03:38:36 pm »
I expect to be there, shortly after 7 pm.
Distributions / Re: Manjaro 17.01
« Last Post by fox on May 21, 2017, 08:39:46 am »

As to why Arch users don't like Arch derivatives, my understanding is that it's because Arch users don't favour things that make it easier because then you don't learn the guts of it. I can see both points of view.

I'm not sure that's true. The Arch people I've talked mainly don't like the fact that Manjaro holds back updates. But I guess if you do any customization of the desktop, you're going to have to hold back updates too, as you've probably changed something that could break with vanilla arch updates.

Interesting thread on this subject here. It relates to Antergos, not Manjaro, but if anything, Antergos is closer to Arch than Manjaro. You'll see that even though Antergos doesn't hold back updates, there is still this importance placed on learning the guts when you install Arch. In this thread, the responder isn't haughty about it, but he/she argues that users on Arch forums won't often help Antergos users for this reason alone.
« Last Post by ssfc72 on May 21, 2017, 06:48:15 am »
ARRL (American Radio Relay League) Field Day.  It is a fun event to join in.  You exchange contact info from other Amateurs around the world, to accumulate points, which  will rank you or your club, compared to the other Field Day participants.
The event is meant as a practice exercise, for Amateurs, in setting up an emergency station, in the event there is  a disaster and there is a need for communications because all other normal communications (phones, radio stations, etc) are not working.

You don't need to hold a Amateur Radio licence, to get on the air, as long as there is a licenced Amateur operator, with you.
Distributions / Re: Manjaro 17.01
« Last Post by elpresidente on May 21, 2017, 02:22:55 am »
Manjaro does partition disks automatically now. As for holding back updates, it does that, as I recall, in order to be more certain that they work. So yes, they hold them back until more thoroughly tested, and then they release them. This makes them safer, but you don\t get them quite as fast as you do with Arch. (A week later or less?)

Yeah, I mentioned that above, that holding back updates for testing might be fine, but if something does break, then you're also holding back potential fixes, too. I forget how fast they are.

As to why Arch users don't like Arch derivatives, my understanding is that it's because Arch users don't favour things that make it easier because then you don't learn the guts of it. I can see both points of view.

I'm not sure that's true. The Arch people I've talked mainly don't like the fact that Manjaro holds back updates. But I guess if you do any customization of the desktop, you're going to have to hold back updates too, as you've probably changed something that could break with vanilla arch updates.

But aside from ease of use, one other thing you get with Manjaro is good desktop design.

It's not hard to install a desktop on Arch but yes, you'll have to customize it as they don't change the vanilla desktop. I guess you can have somebody do it all for you or do it yourself.

I haven't tried Antergos, will have to take a look at it.
Distributions / Re: Linux Distros best for beginners
« Last Post by elpresidente on May 21, 2017, 02:15:07 am »
That's interesting. Is that only when you ran the updater yourself? I tried that way and you're right there, no password required. I think it still asks you for your password when it runs automatically though but maybe not. Will have to wait for it to come up again :)
« Last Post by bobf on May 21, 2017, 12:43:31 am »
Very interesting, Bill. I'm keen to hear the details as they unfold... I'm looking forward to qualifying at the end of June, and I will be going to the rodeo, or whatever they call it, at the foot of Lock St. that weekend (where I hope *someone* can explain why our exam is 2 days AFTER the function?! <^8#)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk