Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Marketplace / Re: Deal on LG Gpad III 8.0 LTE tablet
« Last Post by fox on Today at 09:49:05 am »
Bill and I experimented with the GPad at PLUG MUG last night. It has connecting software already on it, and Bill downloaded the app from the Google Play Store. The connection was very easy, and it is done over bluetooth. I could then text Bill from my iPhone, and the text would appear on the tablet. I could then text back to my iPhone from the tablet, and the text would appear on Bill's phone. Very nice. But it has its limitations, the main one being that the devices have to be close enough to be connected by bluetooth. And if you sever the bluetooth connection by turning off bluetooth, the messages aren't retained on the tablet. (Interestingly enough, they are still there on my iPhone.) What we don't know is whether there are additional features if you use an LG phone. In any case, I would have to say that the iOS solution is more elegant, though proprietary of course. All iOS devices can connect via wifi and you can set an iPad to send and receive texts, and it shows texts sent and received from an iPhone. The text record stays until you erase it. None of this requires you to get a different phone number, which is what many of the texting apps require. 
Meetings / Re: PLUG MUG: Monday, March 27, 2017: Sign-Up
« Last Post by cod3poet on Today at 08:56:27 am »
I came I saw, I had a donut, and left as soon as fox appeared :) - No offense bedtimes are immutable.
« Last Post by elpresidente on Yesterday at 06:30:49 pm »
I had a really busy day yesterday at the Phantasm RPG convention so I'm really wiped today and won't be attending tonight. Catch you guys next week.

Let me know if you just want me to put up a generic blurb about the Raspberry Pi show-and-tells (I won't actually call it that in the description) or if you guys have more specific blurbs, email them to me or send me a personal message here. Sorry that you'll probably be missing your first PLUG monthly meeting in a long time, Bob. We'll miss your added tips.
« Last Post by ssfc72 on Yesterday at 05:39:55 pm »
I did buy something but it wasn t a screen. :-)

I hope to hang in until 9:30 at the Mug, so if you can make the Mug after your class, I will show you. :-)
« Last Post by bobf on Yesterday at 02:57:27 pm »
How, Bill? Did you buy the LCD screen for your Pi?
Meetings / Re: April 2017 PLUG meeting ideas?
« Last Post by bobf on Yesterday at 02:56:26 pm »
Actually, the best that the projector has for input is a DVI port that needs a DVI/HDMI adapter to complete the RPi -> HDMI cable -> adapter -> projector chain... Of course, I have such a beastie, so please remind me tonight at the MUG, and I'll loan it to you guys so... <sniff!> ...you can go ahead and have your little RPi party without me... <snuffle!>

I don't mind... (much!) <^8#

Nah, it's cool; I'm rockin' a 32GB & 2x16GB microSD cards, the first running NOOBS with Raspbian, LibreELEC/Kodi 17.1 Krypton, and Kalla (or whatever its name is...), and I haven't had any luck getting the game stuff to work. I'm thinking probably some kind of USB game controller or something, it doesn't appear to like my Logitech K400 keyboard for that. The other two are both clean loads of LibreELEC, another 17.1 Krypton, the other 16.1 Jarvis, which I've decided I prefer. I'd loaded up Pidora and attempted to use it, but my HDTV has heinous overscan which puts most of the working bits off the screen and makes it 'way too difficult to test...Thank GOD for the video calibration in Kodi!! <^8#

My plan is to buy a decent monitor with HDMI input AND speakers (otherwise, why bother?) before I try doing any more in-depth testing - which, of course, is impeding my ability to do any programming/futzing about with the GPIO stuff!

That said, I *have* been working on what's available *on* Kodi WRT add-ons; I've got what most should already have; Exodus, Zen, Phoenix and Specto...Fork, so there's absolutely *NO* shortfall in available movies and archival TV series, but I've been focused on *Canadian* live IPTV, which isn't nearly so easy to do. And I'm absolutely incensed that the majors out of Toronto cannot be had - CTV, CBC, City, etc., haven't worked at all, though it's relatively simple to get outlying alternatives - Yorkton, Regina, Lethbridge and Edmonton CTV feeds, for example.

Anyway, another work in progress... See you tonight! <^8#
« Last Post by ssfc72 on Yesterday at 10:53:16 am »
I expect I will make the Mug.  Probably be there sometime after 7 pm.

I may bring my Raspberry Pi and show the OpenElec Kodi software running on it.
« Last Post by fox on Yesterday at 10:21:32 am »
Aside from demoing our setups, we should talk generically about setup alternatives (e.g., berryboot, noobs, adefruit), multiple distros on the same setup, and booting from an SD card vs usb. I actually have two SD cards set up differently (one with berryboot and one with noobs). Both have distros on them and both are set up to boot from a usb. Bill's might be totally different.
« Last Post by ssfc72 on Yesterday at 09:37:57 am »
I think the room projector does have a hdmi input because I recall  using a hdmi cable for one of my demos.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk